Sunday, September 23, 2012

DIY: Studded Shorts


Maybe I've been hanging out at too many hipster coffee houses, but I've been seeing SO many cute pairs of cutoffs! Normally this would justify an online shopping trip to Urban, however, I'm a college girl now and Urban's prices are just slightly out of reach. Shame. Anyway, I decided to get creative with this and make my own! Here's a step-by-step of how I made these super simple shorts.


1. Grab a pair of old jeans (light wash mom jeans are my favorite) in whatever style you like, if you don't want to ruin your jeans head over to a thrift store (these were $2) and find a pair that fits in the waist.


2. Try on your pants and mark where you think you want to cut them (I drew a line all the way around each leg), take them off and start cutting.



3. To distress/fringe your shorts, open your scissors and drag the blade across the denim with some force (this part took me the longest).


After step 3, they look like this!


4. Time for studs! My beautiful cousin Alison gave me these (free stuff, yes!) but you can order them for pretty cheap online.


5. Layout your studs and see what looks best. You may want to try out a few different arrangements to see what you like best.


6. To adhere the studs, poke the prongs through your denim (careful of the pocket).


Once the prongs are pushed through they should look like this from the underside.



7. Use the backside of your scissors (don't cut yourself!) to bend the prongs inward and flatten them out.


8. Repeat steps 6&7 until all of your studs are in place! Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment